Food safety in pregnancy - 1. When buying food
Good food hygiene should always be practised and particularly in pregnancy. The following guidelines will help you :
- always check the expiry dates
- while you are out to check that the salads, vegetable and fruits have been washed in clean water
- and you are unsure as to the safety of some foods such as ready to eat salads or whipped ice-cream it is best to avoid it altogether
2. When storing food
- ensure the foods are being stored at the correct temperature
- always store raw foods and ready to eat foods separately.
- it is best to store raw foods on the bottom shelves of your fridge
3. When preparing food
- always wash and dry your hands thoroughly before handling raw food, particularly chicken and fish
- ensure that you wash fruit and vegetables in clean water before eating
- again, check the expiry date. Although it may have been bought fresh it may have expired its use-by date before you use it.
- ensure ready meals are heated as per instructions on the pack. They should be steaming hot throughout.
- cook all meat, chicken and fish until it is well done
- never reheat food more than once
Please remember to always wear gloves whilst gardening or handling cat litter, before mealtimes.
What Our Patients Say
“This is my second visit to Merrion Fetal, I was very pleased on both occasions. Lovely quiet waiting room, appointment was on time. The 20-week scan is very detailed we enjoyed watching our baby on the large TV screen. We got some beautiful photos. The nurse was very pleasant and talked us through all the measurements and anatomy. I would highly recommend this scanning clinic.”
“I had the best experience at the Merrion Fetal Health clinic for my 20-week big scan. The staff were so friendly and so nice and the lovely lady who did my ultrasound scan was amazing. She was so thoroughgoing to absolutely everything and gave me such reassurance on how my baby was growing and developing. I would recommend any Mother to be to attend here if you are looking for a comfortable, reassuring and super pleasant experience.”
“Highly recommend! We had an early scan due to a little scare at the start of pregnancy and then another at 12 weeks to make sure all was good again. Helen who was scanning on both days was fantastic. We felt totally relaxed and un-rushed while she took her time finding the best angle of baby to get us the clearest pictures as keepsakes all while making sure everything was perfect with baby. She reassured us throughout and I can honestly say it was the best money we ever spent getting both scans done.
Please let Helen know we are 18 weeks now and flying along Highly recommend!
Midwife sonographer facilitated
Consultant Led, Centre of Medical Excellence
All articles on the blog and website are intended as information only. Please do not consider any of the information provided here as a substitute for medical advice. At all times seek medical advice directly with your own doctor and medical team.
This website was formerly Merrion Fetal Health. The clinic has undergone a rebrand and is now known as Merrion Ultrasound.